6 Things You Need To Do To Make Your Business More Fun
I’ve been thinking a lot about the phrase “time flies when you’re having fun” as I reflect back on the past 4 years.
It feels like minutes have passed in my life but when I look at my girls I know it’s been a lot more time than that.
They’re 4 years older, 4 years bigger, 4 years more self-sufficient than they were when I first started my business.
Where did the time go?
How did it pass so quickly?
The answer is so simple.
I have loved doing what I do so much in the past 4 years, it went by in the blink of an eye.
We cannot possibly think we’re going to sustain our businesses if we don’t believe in our heart of hearts it’s a fun way to spend our time. If it’s not fun for you yet, might I suggest that you’re not doing it right.
Now, it’s not always going to be fun and for me easy doesn’t equal enjoyable, but for the most part I love what I do. Do you?
People that learn to make their jobs fun are more successful and have a higher retention rate. If you have a team around you, you should work on making it more fun for them too!
If your business is more stressful than fun for you, here 6 things you need to do to make your business more fun:
1. Cultivate a group of your people that you can open up to. I find the really hard stuff a lot more fun when I can share some crappy comment or harsh email with my friend Melissa or Liz. They know my business and they know what I do. Most importantly, they know my heart and me. They can put it in perspective for me and laugh with me a lot of days, which is the medicine for that kind of thing. They help me keep my business light when I get intense.
2. Use the talents, skills, abilities and hobbies you developed before you started your business. Be willing to give people the thing you really love doing. For me, that was creating graphics on the computer. It was identifying needs. It was also writing. I love doing those things now just like I loved them before I started my business. What can you share with people?
3. Play a little more. If you have a team, get into wherever you communicate and play with one another a little bit. If it’s just you, do this on social media. Talk about personal stuff. Create connections between people you know. Form new relationships. Business doesn’t have to be so serious. It can be really…wait for it…fun.
4. Brainstorm. Getting inspired by new ideas and getting a new project off the ground is really satisfying and working hard to get it started can be one of the most fun parts of being your own boss. Get out there. Find a group of likeminded people and create something together.
5. Work in new places. Take your laptop out back today to work. Take it to a coffee shop and get yourself your favorite drink. Go to Chick-Fil-A and enjoy work with a side of Chick-Fil-A sauce. Ok, maybe that last one is just for me but try mixing up your regular routine to inject some fun into the day.
6. Give yourself a challenge. I always get really inspired and excited about having a new goal to go after. I love the way it makes me feel. Challenge yourself (and your team) on a new goal to work toward. Maybe it’s a daily challenge and maybe it’s just short-term. Your call, but make it something to strive for.
Don’t believe the lie that it’s only worthwhile in business if it’s hard and boring. That’s not the truth.
If I’m missing time with my family for it, it damn well should be a lot of fun. I better want to spend my work time doing my work and not wishing it was over.